Freezer Meal 101

If you are just getting your feet wet with freezer meals, go check out this post first.

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Q & A

Just thought I would answer a few questions that have come up.

Question: No Cook Noodles?

Answer: Yes.  No cool noodles.  For lasagnas or other dishes that don't require you to cook the noodles, you don't have to buy special no cook noodles.  The idea is that the filling/sauce somewhat softens the noodles as it freezes then cooks the noodles as the dish cooks.  Lasagna is actually better NOT using the no cook noodles.  Don't believe me - try 1.

Question: How many meals do you get out of the Mandarin Orange Chicken?

Answer: I doubled the recipe and got 3 full size meals out of it.  It was a HUGE hit with my kids too.

Question: Gluten Free

Answer: Okay, so not really a question, but I have added the Gluten Free label to the posts.  I know you know this, but just a reminder, most of these dishes can be made gluten free.  In my experience, the hardest part about making things gluten free is the creamed soups and the obvious flour.  There are solutions to those.  I have a fabulous recipe for Gluten Free creamed soups.  Mushroom, Chicken and celery.  (If you need them - let me know).  I would make a HUGE pan of Gluten free Cream of Chicken and Gluten Free Cream of Mushroom and then make your meals and freeze.

As for the flour - there is now a Gluten Free flour that you substitute cup for cup in recipes that call for regular flour.  My experience is that it doesn't taste exactly like it would have, however, this is a great solution for recipes that call for 1/4 cup flour just as a thickener or something along those lines. 

Also, you can substitute Gluten Free noodles or Gluten Free bread crumbs for those recipes that call for those as well.

Keep the questions coming!!  Post if you have questions or if you just liked a recipe.  I will be pulling questions and comments SOON for a giveaway here!!

No comments:

Post a Comment